Posted on March 11, 2019
Lawsuits Against Fortnite Dances Dropped Temporarily
Fortnite has had a ridiculous amount of success the last couple years, but it hasn’t been without controversy. Last year, several lawsuits were filed against Epic Games in regards to in-game dance emotes.
Now, ‘Fresh Prince’ star Alfonso Ribeiro, rapper 2 Milly, Backpack Kid, and Orange Shirt Kid have dropped their lawsuits temporarily, according to Hollywood Reporter.
This comes after a recent change how copyright law is handled. Just days ago, the U.S. Supreme Court decided that under the Copyright Act, plaintiffs must wait until the U.S. Copyright Office has accepted or refused the registration, which could take months. The U.S. Copyright Office declined registration for the Carlton dance, which Ribeiro had sued about in December. The office says that it is a “simple dance routine.”
Rapper 2 Miller, Backpack Kid, and Orange Shirt Kid were voluntary dismissals and can still be refiled. Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hect, the company representing the plaintiffs (who also spoke to Hollywood Reporter), says that this move is “purely procedural.”
[Source: Hollywood Reporter]